A young boy once approached his father to ask, "Dad, why does the wind
blow?", to which the father responded, "I don't know, son." "Dad,
where do the clouds come from?" "I'm not sure, son." "Dad, what makes
a rainbow?" "No idea, son." "Dad, do you mind me asking you all these
questions.?" "Not at all, son. How else are you going to learn?"
Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people
Bok's Law: If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
From the day we entered the ninth-grade health class, one blackboard was covered with
the names and locations of the major bones and muscles of the human body. The diagram
stayed on the board throughout the term, although the teacher never referred to it. The
day of the final exam, we came to class to find the board wiped clean. The sole test
question was: "Name and locate every major bone and muscle in the human body."
The class protested in unison: "We never studied that!" "That's no
excuse," said the teacher. "The information was there for months." After we
struggled with the test for a while, he collected the papers and tore them up.
"Always remember," he told us, "that education is more than just learning
what you are told."
Judith Swanson, in Reader's Digest.
Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read
the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
Pete Seeger, folk singer,
quoted in Rolling Stone.
Statistics and Stuff
15 famous people who never graduated from grade school:
1) Andrew Carnegie, U.S. industrialist and philanthropist
2) Charles Chaplin, British actor and film director
3) William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, American scout and showman
4) Noel Coward, British actor, playwright, and composer
5) Charles Dickens, British novelist
6) Isadora Duncan, U.S. dancer
7) Thomas Edison, U.S. inventor
8) Samuel Gompers, U.S. labor leader
9) Maxim Gorky, Russian writer
10) Claude Monet, French painter
11) Sean O'Casey, Irish playwright
12) Alfred E. Smith, U.S. politician
13) John Philip Sousa, U.S. bandleader and composer
14) Henry M. Stanley, British explorer
15) Mark Twain, U.S. humorist and writer
From the Book of Lists.